I am a cryptographer with a professional focus on secure technologies demanded by real-world applications (such as end-to-end security, secure data access control, and authentication). Moreover, I am particularly interested in long-term security (e.g., forward security) and hybridization techniques towards scalable quantum-safe systems.
Before joining the AIT Austrian Institute of Technology – Austria’s largest Research and Technology Organization (RTO) – in 2016, I held a post-doc position at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) in Germany.
In 2015, I received my PhD (Dr. rer. nat.) in cryptography from KIT under the supervision of Prof. Dennis Hofheinz (now at ETH Zurich) on scalable advanced cryptographic building blocks. Teaching activities included Algorithms I (lab, ST 2015) and IT security (lab, ST 2013), encompassed by several seminars and labs.
In 2010, I received my Diploma in computer science from the Technical University of Braunschweig in Germany with a major in cryptography and software engineering. From March to September 2008, I worked as a software-development intern for Siemens USA in Princeton, New Jersey.
News and activities:
- Oct. 2023: An extended version of our PKC'15 paper was accepted to the Journal of Cryptology.
- Sep. 2023: Accepted paper on forward-secure 0-RTT key exchange at The ACM Cloud Computing Security Workshop 2023.
- Aug. 2023: Accepted papers on forward security in updatable encryption at TCC 2023 and on functional encryption with updatable ciphertexts in the Journal of Cryptology.
- Aug. 2023: (Virtual) presentation at PQCrypto 2023 on hybrid authenticated key exchange.
- Aug. 2023: I will serve as a program committee member of ICISSP 2024 and GI Sicherheit 2024.
- Jun. 2023: Accepted paper on hybrid authenticated key exchange at PQCrypto 2023.
- May 2023: I will serve as a program committee member of CANS 2023.
- Apr. 2023: I attended EUROCRYPT 2023 in Lyon.
- Jan. 2023: Accepted paper on strongly secure messaging at EUROCRYPT 2023.
- Dez. 2022: From 7 to 9 December, I visited Dominique Schröder's group at Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg and gave a presentation on Forward Security.
- Oct. 2022: I will serve as a program committee member of the Security Standardisation Research Conference 2023.
- Sep. 2022: From 19 to 23 September, I visited Dennis Hofheinz' group at ETH Zurich and held a talk on Puncturable Encryption.
- Apr. 2022: I attended Real World Crypto Symposium 2022 in Amsterdam and gave a contributed talk on Puncturable Encryption.
Recent research visits:
- Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (Prof. Dominique Schröder, 12/2022)
- ETH Zurich (Prof. Dennis Hofheinz, 09/2022)
- Royal Holloway, University of London (Prof. Martin R. Albrecht, now at King's College London and SandboxAQ, 10/2018)
- Paderborn University (Prof. Tibor Jager, now at Bergische Universität Wuppertal, 03/2017)
- CANS 2023, 2022
- Security Standardisation Research Conference 2023
- IMA International Conference on Cryptography and Coding 2019
- ICISSP 2024
- GI SICHERHEIT 2024, 2022 & 2020
- ARES Workshops 2023, 2022 & 2020
- IFIP Summer School on Privacy and Identity Management 2019 & 2018
Selected external reviewing activities:
- CRYPTO 2022, 2019
- EUROCRYPT 2023, 2022
- ASIACRYPT 2022, 2021, 2016, 2015
- ACM CCS 2023, 2022, 2020
- USENIX Security 2021
- IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy 2022
- ICALP 2022
- PKC 2023, 2020, 2018, 2017, 2016
- IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security 2022
- IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing 2022, 2021
- Designs, Codes and Cryptography 2022
- QCI-CAT (Digital European Program, 2022-2025)
- PETRUS (Digital European Program, 2022-2025)
- TeamAware (EU HORIZON 2020, 2021-2024)
- PROFET (FWF, netidee SCIENCE, 2019-2023)
- QKD4GOV (KIRAS, 2021-2023)
- COMP4DRONES (EU HORIZON 2020, ECSEL, 2019-2023)
- SECREDAS (EU HORIZON 2020, ECSEL, 2018-2021)
- IoT4CPS (FFG and BMK, ICT of the Future, 2017-2020)
- PRISMACLOUD (EU HORIZON 2020, 2015-2018)
- CREDENTIAL (EU HORIZON 2020, 2015-2018)
Selected invited talks and activities:
- Invited talks on end-to-end hybrid authenticated key exchanges (NXP, IDQ Europe, 2023)
- Invited talk on Forward Security (ETH Zurich, 2022)
- Invited talk on Forward Security (FAU Nürnberg-Erlangen, 2022)
- Invited lecture on Redactable Blockchains (with Daniel Slamanig, TU Vienna, 2021)
- Invited talk on Attribute-Based Encryption for Strong Access Control (ETSI Security Week, 2020)
- Invited lectures on Advanced Public-Key Encryption (TU Vienna, 2020 & 2019)
- Invited talk on Security, Safety, and Privacy-by-Design (Austrian Standards, 2020, press coverage in futurezone and Austrian Standards)
- Invited talk on Attribute-Based Encryption for strong access control (Graz Security Days for Industry, 2019)
- Invited talk on Forward Security (Royal Holloway, University of London, 2018)
- Involvement in ETSI STF 529 on standardizing Attribute-Based Encryption (press release from ETSI)
Selected teaching & supervision:
- Teaching: Redactable Blockchains (invited lecture, WT 2021 at TU Vienna), Advanced Public-Key Encryption (invited lecture, WT 2020 at TU Vienna), Advanced Public-Key Encryption (invited lecture, WT 2019 at TU Vienna), Algorithms I (TA, ST 2015 at KIT), IT security (TA, ST 2013 at KIT)
- Diploma theses: Christian Matt (2011), Alexander Mai (2014)
- Interns: Denis Jahic (Jul.-Sep. 2021), Alexander Zikulnig (Aug.-Sep. 2022)