I am a cryptography and IT security researcher with a professional focus on cryptographic technologies demanded by real-world applications (such as end-to-end security, secure data access control, and authentication). Moreover, I am particularly interested in advanced cryptographic security measures for key exchanges to achieve forward security and hybridization techniques towards quantum-safe systems.
Before joining the AIT Austrian Institute of Technology – Austria’s largest Research and Technology Organization (RTO) – in 2016, I held a post-doc position at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) in Germany.
In 2015, I received my PhD (Dr. rer. nat.) in cryptography from KIT under the supervision of Prof. Dennis Hofheinz (now at ETH Zurich) on advanced cryptographic building blocks (i.e., identity-based encryption with strong security guarantees). Larger-scale teaching activities included Algorithms I (lab, ST 2015) and IT security (lab, ST 2013), encompassed by several smaller-scale seminars and labs.
In 2010, I received my Diploma in computer science from the Technical University of Braunschweig in Germany with a major in cryptography and software engineering. From March to September 2008, I worked as a software-development intern for Siemens USA in Princeton, New Jersey.
News and activities:
- May 2023: I will serve as a program committee member of CANS 2023.
- Apr. 2023: I attended EUROCRYPT 2023 in Lyon.
- Jan. 2023: Accepted paper on strongly secure messaging at EUROCRYPT 2023.
- Dez. 2022: From 7 to 9 December, I visited Dominique Schröder's group at Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg and gave a presentation on Forward Security.
- Oct. 2022: I will serve as a program committee member of the Security Standardisation Research Conference 2023.
- Sep. 2022: From 19 to 23 September, I visited Dennis Hofheinz' group at ETH Zurich and held a talk on Puncturable Encryption.
- Apr. 2022: I attended Real World Crypto Symposium 2022 in Amsterdam and gave a contributed talk on Puncturable Encryption.
Recent research visits:
- Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (Prof. Dominique Schröder, 12/2022)
- ETH Zurich (Prof. Dennis Hofheinz, 09/2022)
- Royal Holloway, University of London (Prof. Martin R. Albrecht, now at King's College London and SandboxAQ, 10/2018)
- Paderborn University (Prof. Tibor Jager, now at Bergische Universität Wuppertal, 03/2017)
- CANS 2023, 2022
- Security Standardisation Research Conference 2023
- ARES Workshops 2023, 2022 & 2020
- SICHERHEIT 2022 & 2020
- IMA International Conference on Cryptography and Coding 2019
- IFIP Summer School on Privacy and Identity Management 2019 & 2018
Selected external reviewing activities:
- CRYPTO 2022, 2019
- EUROCRYPT 2023, 2022
- ASIACRYPT 2022, 2021, 2016, 2015
- ACM CCS 2022, 2020
- USENIX Security 2021
- IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy 2022
- ICALP 2022
- PKC 2023, 2020, 2018, 2017, 2016
- IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security 2022
- IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing 2022, 2021
- Designs, Codes and Cryptography 2022
- QCI-CAT (Digital European Program, 2022-2025)
- PETRUS (Digital European Program, 2022-2025)
- TeamAware (EU HORIZON 2020, 2021-2024)
- PROFET (FWF, netidee SCIENCE, 2019-2023)
- QKD4GOV (KIRAS, 2021-2023)
- COMP4DRONES (EU HORIZON 2020, ECSEL, 2019-2023)
- SECREDAS (EU HORIZON 2020, ECSEL, 2018-2021)
- IoT4CPS (FFG and BMK, ICT of the Future, 2017-2020)
- PRISMACLOUD (EU HORIZON 2020, 2015-2018)
- CREDENTIAL (EU HORIZON 2020, 2015-2018)
Selected invited talks and activities:
- Invited talks on Forward Security (ETH Zurich and FAU Nürnberg-Erlangen, 2022)
- Invited lecture on Redactable Blockchains (with Daniel Slamanig, TU Vienna, 2021)
- Invited talk on Attribute-Based Encryption for Strong Access Control (ETSI Security Week, 2020)
- Invited lectures on Advanced Public-Key Encryption (TU Vienna, 2020 & 2019)
- Invited talk on Security, Safety, and Privacy-by-Design (Austrian Standards, 2020, press coverage in futurezone and Austrian Standards)
- Invited talk on Attribute-Based Encryption for strong access control (Graz Security Days for Industry, 2019)
- Invited talk on Forward Security (Royal Holloway, University of London, 2018)
- Involvement in ETSI STF 529 (on standardizing Attribute-Based Encryption)
- Diploma theses: Christian Matt (2011), Alexander Mai (2014)
- Interns: Denis Jahic (Jul.-Sep. 2021), Alexander Zikulnig (Aug.-Sep. 2022)